The Special Adviser to Osun State Governor on Public Health, Dr Siji Olamiju, raised an alarm that a poisonous fruit juice which has been confirmed to be responsible for the death of at least ten persons while 400 others are on sick bed in Kano state might have been brought into Osun.

EyewitnessMedia gathered that Olamiju said this while addressing newsmen, warning residents against consuming any drink they were not familiariar with.

Olamiju said with a large population of northerners resident in the state, there was high possibility that the poisonous drink might be brought to the state, explaining that the state officials in conjunction with NAFDAC staff in the state would inspect sale outlets to ensure that the said drink was not allowed in the state.

He said, “NAFDAC has spoken about the incident and it has made us to understand that the ‘unidentified’ product was illegally smuggled in to the country and by analysis and investigation, it is a substandard product.

“I want to advise all Nigerians, especially the residents of Osun, that they should be wary of new products. During this fasting period, people will be lured in to taking different types of juice to break their fast. They should take only those products they are familiar with.

“Another thing is that we have a very high population of northerners here, so there is possibility of smuggling such drink into the state.

“So, we are already working together with NAFDAC to give us the identity of that drink. So that we can work with the NAFDAC here to make sure that we check all the juice stores. With that, we won’t allow it at all in the state.

“We have to take responsibility for our health and we should be wary of what we drink in this period. I want to urge everybody to take it serious. We will make sure the drink doesn’t get to Osun and if it already here, we will knock it off with the assistance of NAFDAC in Osun.”

The Kano State Government had on Thursday said 10 people had died and 400 others hospitalised after drinking a poisonous fruit juice, after revealing last month that the poisonous fruit juice claimed three lives and led to the hospitalisation of 183 others.

The state Commissioner for Health, Dr Aminu Tsanyawa, in a video recording made available to journalists in Kano on Thursday, stated that out of 400 people hospitalised, 50 persons were undergoing treatment for kidney-related ailments.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here